Fall Trail Mix


I'm continuing my fall themed posts with a super simple treat that's sure to be a hit at your fall get togethers. This snack mix is so simple, yet it's the perfect combination of sweet and salty. What's the most surprising is how much like a PayDay it tastes!

This past weekend we were visiting family. Someone had a big bag of candy corn and mentioned we should try peanuts with it. They claimed it tasted just like a PayDay. I was skeptical, but figured it would be a good combination of sweet and salty - that's definitely one of my favorite flavor profiles. I'd seen candy corn included in various trail mixes, but I'd never tried just candy corn with peanuts. It tasted remarkably like a PayDay! I hadn't had one in years, but I used to eat them a lot. I was shocked at how close it was.

Searching around online I found a lot of people talking about the combination, so perhaps you've already tried this snack. But if you are like us and had never heard of it, you will definitely want to try it! Most recipes online call for equal parts candy corn and peanuts. My husband and I, being the analytical engineer-type, tested and figured out the perfect ratio was 2 candy corn to 1 peanut to achieve the PayDay taste. So my recipes doubles the candy corn. Yes, we are nerds...

Of course, I tried to come up with a way to make it more complicated. I attempted to melt the candy corn down, mix peanuts in, put them in ball, and chill them. Not only did I underestimate just how hot the candy corn would get, I also didn't think about how hard it would get when it chilled. As I pulled one out of the fridge and placed it on the table it sounded like glass...not a good sign.

My next attempt was to cook on low heat in the oven. Thankfully, I thought to put wax paper down on the cookie sheet. I alternated layers of candy corn and peanuts. I pulled it out of oven and it looked great. But the wax paper was permanently attached. I tried a bit that wasn't stuck and found in breaking down the components of the candy corn, it had changed the taste.

Next, I found a complicated recipe for making homemade candy corn and was going to try to incorporate the peanuts in the recipe. Then as I was making a long list of ingredients to buy, I decided not to over complicate it.

So, here is the stress-free recipe for a delicious fall snack!


Fall trail mix ingredients:

  • 1 cup candy corn
  • 1/2 cup salted peanuts


Fall trail mix directions:

  1. Mix two ingredients in ziplock or sealable bag.
  2. Shake to mix ingredients well.
  3. Pour into container and enjoy!

I finished my project with putting it in a Mason jar and adding some fall touches. Not only would the mix be a great addition to your fall party, it makes a special gift when dressed up in cute packaging!


Popular Posts