Cookies and Cream Cupcakes


It been a while since I posted a recipe as I've had some decoration tutorials lately. But I'm making up for it today and posting an easy cupcake recipe that's sure to be a hit at your next dinner!

My family was having a belated birthday party for our friend Jeff. My husband and I had just had a very busy week, so I hadn't been able to make some decor. But I wanted something special, so I decided to create a cookies and cream buttercream and pair it with my vanilla cupcakes. I had a lot to bring to my parents house, and I of course left without the recipe! I quickly scoured the Internet for a different doctored cake mix recipe. Mine is very complicated and I just couldn't remember all the ingredients!

Thankfully, I found a simple recipe and was able to make it along with the buttercream. It was easy to make and something your friends and family will love. Whenever the guys stop their card game to eat them, you know it's a hit. :)

The recipe is from the queen of doctored cake mixes, the Cake Doctor.  You can find her recipes and information about her book at her website.

Cupcake ingredients:
White cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

Yes, I said sour cream. If you haven't tried it in a cake, it is amazing! It adds a richness and moisture to the cake. Trust me, the flavor bakes out. I strongly dislike the taste of sour cream!

Cupcake directions
Preheat oven to 350F.
Put cake mix in large mixing bowl.
Mix in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and oil.
Beat on low for 1 minute.
Switch to medium and beat for 1-2 minutes.
Line cupcake pan with cupcake wrappers.
Fill wrappers about 3/4 full.
Bake for 18-22 minutes.
Cool on rack.

I paired the cupcakes with a cookies and cream buttercream. It was a tasty and easy way to modify the cupcakes. You could use any candy bar or treat that can be crushed up.

Cookies and Cream Buttercream:
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup butter (softened)
2 tsp vanilla
8 tsp milk
1 lb powdered sugar
4-5 crushed Oreos

Buttercream directions:
Combine Crisco, butter, vanilla, and milk.
Beat until mixed well.
Add powdered sugar about 1/4-1/2lb at a time.
If too thick consistency, add additional tsp's of milk.


Enjoy this tasty treat! It's a fun and easy alternative to the plain vanilla cake/vanilla buttercream combination.

Another thing I have been working on is setting up an Etsy page. I am creating fondant and gum paste cake toppers and decorations. My shop isn't finished and open yet, but will be soon! Below is a sneak peek at some of my favorite pieces!

Be sure to check back soon as I have some new recipes on my list to try, including a peach sweet tea cupcake and a red velvet cake with a unique twist! I'll also have a tutorial coming up in a few weeks for a Cars themed birthday cake. If you'd like to get notifications about new posts, you can subscribe by email or follow me on Facebook!


Popular Posts