Ideas for Thanksgiving: Holiday Cake


All week this week I'm celebrating Thanksgiving early, by hosting a party of ideas for your Holiday get together. Before I tell you about today's idea, though, make sure and check out my link party to share your ideas. 

Last year I had my blog going, but I didn't post a lot. One thing I ran into around the Holidays was I would make something for the occasion, but then it seemed too late to share it. I could do a recap post of my holiday ideas, but no one was currently looking for them... BUT, since I didn't share them last year, I have them to start sharing this year. So, really it worked out pretty well! Last year, I made two main treats for our get-together. First off, I made the adorable cupcakes I shared on Monday. Secondly, though, I made a cake for the adults to enjoy as well.


Now when I was looking for cake ideas I noticed there weren't a ton of options for Thanksgiving. For Christmas you have a TON, but not so much Thanksgiving... I decided to do a traditional cornucopia themed cake. I then added another cute touch of fall themed leaves as the border for the cake. Everyone enjoyed the cake and it was a lot of fun to make.

A couple weeks before Thanksgiving I created the fondant toppers for the cornucopia and leaves.

Thanksgiving cake instructions:
  • Roll out brown fondant paper thin
  • Cut out a triangular shape and wrap around a cone shaped object
  • Create pumpkins, squash, zucchini, and apples using orange, yellow, green, and red fondant
  • Create stems, leaves, and strings out of green and brown fondant
  • Get multiple balls of different colored fondant and place them next to each other
  • Roll out the balls of fondant letting the colors overlap, roll out paper thin
  • Use a small leaf cookie cutter to cut out multiple leaves, making sure to hit the areas where there are multiple colors
  • Ice cooled cake and smooth the buttercream
  • Place cornucopia on top with leaves along the bottom of the cake
  • Pipe "Happy Thanksgiving," or cut the phrase out of fondant
  • Finish the top of the cake by piping a border

Hope you check back tomorrow as I'm posting a round-up of some great desserts, perfect for you Thanksgiving meal!

Popular Posts