Monkey Bread Muffins


Just a few more days until Christmas, I am getting excited! I love this time of year. I've done a lot of baking so far, and am sharing my ideas in my "12 Sweet Posts of Christmas" series. Not all have been edible treats, but they are all fun ideas to make your holidays festive and sweet! It's been a busy few days, so I got a little behind on my posts. But I'm finishing up my series with some last minute ideas. Check back tomorrow and on Christmas Eve for posts #11 and #12. 

Today's treat is a delicious dish that would be perfect for your family on Christmas morning! It's great anytime of the year, but cinnamon and caramel Monkey Bread is a perfect way to celebrate with loved ones. I absolutely love monkey bread, I mean what's not to love? Caramel? Yum! Cinnamon? Delicious!

I also enjoy it because the base reminds me of a childhood treat. When I was younger, my mom would make a special treat occasionally with my sister and I. If it was a holiday, birthday, or some other occasion, we would make cinnamon sugar bread. She would take canned biscuit dough and sprinkle the tops with a delicious cinnamon sugar mixture. You could smell the cinnamon goodness as they baked, our mouths would water. My favorite part, though, was that we made shapes out of the canned biscuit dough. We'd pull apart the biscuits to shape teddy bears (my sister's favorite) and penguins (I was a bit obsessed with penguins). They were almost too cute to eat. Almost...

I decided to use canned biscuits as the dough for Monkey Bread. I had seen the idea online. But, I wanted to try individual sized Monkey Bread muffins. I looked around online, and of course the idea had already been thought of. I've never seen it, but Pillsbury had a recipe online. I decided to just try their recipe for my first attempt. I definitely want to play around with the recipe next time, just for fun.

The Monkey Bread muffins are DELICIOUS! The muffins are also fun and simple to make, I bet kids would love helping out with these. I'm hoping my niece will help me make some for a get together while I'm visiting. They will make a perfect holiday breakfast item, or dessert. They are so cute too, they look just like mini versions of the treat!! Here's how I made them:

Monkey Bread muffin ingredients (yields 6 muffins):
  • 1 can Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers biscuit dough (8 biscuits)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp water
Monkey Bread muffin instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375F
  • Open can and separate out biscuits onto parchment paper
  • Cut each biscuit into 6 equal pieces


  • Combine sugar and cinnamon and pour into ziploc bag
  • Shake biscuit dough pieces in bag to cover with cinnamon sugar. Shake about 6 pieces at a time to keep from having too many pieces, you don't want them sticking to each other. 


  • Place pieces back on paper when covered
  • In sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar until boiling, leave at boiling for about 2 mins (stir consistently while heating)
  • Spray a muffin tin
  • Place 8 biscuit pieces in each muffin cup, you may have to squish them in

  • Pour the caramel mixture from the sauce pan onto each muffin, you want to leave a couple tablespoons of caramel for when they come out of the oven


  •  Bake 8-11 mins, pour on extra caramel after removing (I may have poured on too much caramel to begin with, it leaked out a little onto the muffin tin)


I used a knife to pop them out, but they came out without any problems. I didn't skimp on the cooking spray, so that helped. These muffins were delicious right out of the oven, but just as tasty later on.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Don't forget to check out my other ideas I've shared, and come back for my final two posts!!

Previous entries:

Popular Posts