Simple Sweet and Salty Candy


Welcome to my next post in my Christmas series! So far, I've shared a bucket list printout, holiday decorating ideas, an easy way to sweeten up hot chocolate, and recipes/tutorials for a gingerbread house. I'm having a blast working on, writing, and sharing these posts. I love this time of year!

This year I want to make some candy to share with friends and family for the holidays. I had been trying to figure out what I should make, and then happened to watch an episode of Trisha Yearwood's Food Network show. On the show she made candy by baking a brown sugar/butter mixture on crackers, and then covering them with chocolate chips. I LOVE the sweet and salty flavor profile, so I had to try this candy out.


This candy is simple to make, but so delicious! I'll admit when I first heard about the candy, I wasn't so sure how it would taste. Like I said I love sweet and salty, but I've never tried crackers with chocolate... But, both my husband and I were surprised at how great it ended up being. This is the perfect candy for Christmas because it is not only delicious, but also quick and easy to make. Things get so hectic during the holidays, it is nice to have something simple to make. It's also not a common candy that a lot of people make, so it's great to have something unique to share with others.

I switched things up a bit by doing both white and milk chocolate chips. I'm also thinking of adding red and green sprinkles next time to give it more of a festive look.

Sweet and Salty Christmas Candy ingredients:
  • 12 saltine crackers
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 4 oz chocolate chips (white, milk, or dark)
Sweet and Salty Christmas Candy directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425F
  • Line sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray
  • Arrange crackers on foil, salt side down
  • On stove, melt butter and brown sugar on medium heat; boil for a couple mins (caramel color should develop)
  •  Remove from heat and pour evenly over crackers
  •  Bake for 3-5 mins, or until it begins bubbling (watch carefully)
  • As soon as it was removed from the oven, sprinkle on chocolate chips (we split it between milk and white chocolate)
  • Once chocolate begins melting, spread it out evenly over the crackers
  • Place sheet pan in freezer for 15-20 mins, or until completely cool
  • Remove and break the crackers up into pieces

Keep checking back this month for more winter and holiday themed ideas and recipes!

Popular Posts