Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake


Happy New Year! I can't believe it is 2014 already. If you missed it, make sure and check out my round-up of my favorite posts from 2013. I recapped the year with my favorite recipes and cakes. I'm excited to see what 2014 holds for my husband and I, as well as for my blog. I've already got some cakes and projects lined up for the next couple months. Lots of fun things to share!

Today's recipe is a traditional chocolate chip cake recipe. I had been wanting to make it for a while, but didn't have a bundt pan. Over the past couple years, I've added a considerable amount to my cake and baking collection. But, I mainly focused on round cake pans. Thankfully for Christmas I got two pans I've been wanting to experiment with - a bundt pan and a loaf pan. Stay tuned for more of those style cakes!
This cake is traditional, and also super simple. There are very few steps, and since you start with a cake mix, very few ingredients. I decided to keep it traditional and make it for my husband for New Year's Eve. We didn't have a ton of time that evening, but I wanted to bake something festive.

You can get creative with this cake when it comes to glazes. We actually left the cake plain (that's how he prefers it). But I thought of some delicious glaze ideas - chocolate, peanut butter, caramel, or Nutella. I will have to try one of those next time. 

One thing that usually happens with this cake is that the chocolate chips sink when baking. To alleviate this, I used mini chocolate chips! We found the chips stayed more consistent throughout with the smaller chips (see a slice below). Another idea is to toss the regular sized chocolate chips in flour before adding to the batter. This is a trick you can do to blueberries, chocolate chips, or whatever you are adding to cake/muffins/cupcakes. It helps keep them from sinking.


Chocolate Chip Bundt cake ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Bundt cake directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Beat all wet ingredients (eggs, sour cream, water, and oil) until completely combined

  • Mix in cake and pudding mixes
  • Fold in chocolate chips
  • Spray bundt pan with cooking spray
  • Fill cake pan with batter
  • Bake 50-60 mins
  • Remove from oven and let cool 10 mins
  • Flip over to remove cake
Enjoy this tasty and easy cake! Check back for some savory recipes I will be sharing next week. Click on the recipe below to get your copy to download, print, or share. Check out my recipe box (image to the right) for additional recipe cards!


Popular Posts