Orange Dreamsicle Cake Redo



It's March Madness - how is your team doing? Better yet, how is your bracket? I'm pretty sure there's not too many people with brackets in tact after all the upsets this year! I'm not much of a sports fan, but I've caught of few of the games on TV with my husband. I'm even celebrating with a March Madness tournament of my own on my blog! I started with 8 of my favorite recipes and am slowly dwindling them down to the top Sweet Treat. Make sure and catch the latest results and vote here.

Yesterday we were watching a particularly stressful game between our alma mater and a #1 seed team. It was so close and down to the wire, definitely a nail biter! At one point I had to just get up and do something else, it was stressing me out. Thankfully our Wildcats are moving on to the Sweet 16 (sorry Wichita State fans!). Go Cats!! But, I couldn't sit and watch towards the end, it was so close. I decided it was the perfect time to try a new recipe I wanted to experiment with - a new (and improved) Dreamsicle cake.

Long time followers of my blog may remember I once made a Dreamsicle-style cake. I really enjoyed the last cake, but it was super rich and very sweet (that's saying a lot for ME to call it very sweet). There are definitely times when I want that kind of dessert, but I decided I wanted to try something a little lighter (and fresher). This cake replaces the orange jello powder, used in the previous cake, with orange juice and zest. The cream cheese/Cool-Whip frosting is gone and a light glaze made with fresh juice, orange zest, and powdered sugar is in its place. The cake may be less rich, but it is not lacking in flavor! It's just the right mix of vanilla and orange to remind you of a Dreamsicle.

Here's the recipe -

Orange Dreamsicle Cake ingredients:
  • Orange cake mix
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 small box vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbs orange zest
  • Glaze:
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 1 1/2 tbs freshly squeezed orange juice (start with 1 tbs and add as needed)
    • 1/4 tsp grated orange zest
Orange Dreamsicle Cake instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Grate orange
  • Mix together cake mix, oil, eggs, vanilla, pudding, orange juice, water, and orange zest
  • Beat on low 1 min
  • Spray bundt pan with cooking spray
  • Fill pan with batter
  • Bake for 35-38 mins
  • Let the cake cool for 10 mins
  • While cooking, whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice, and orange zest
  • Turn the cake over onto a cake board or plate
  • Pour glaze over the cake
Below is the Dreamsicle cake recipe card. Make sure and click on the recipe card box on the right hand sidebar to find more recipe cards.


Popular Posts